About the Middle School Program
The Middle School Science Circle has a class size of 24 students. Sessions will be held Tuesday nights from 6:30 – 8:pm on Stanford’s campus. The fee for the Middle School Program is $375 per quarter. The program fee is due to smaller class size and more hands-on activities for the Middle School Program. The program will be offered throughout the academic year with each academic quarter representing a different science theme. Students must apply each quarter.
Note: Given the heavy demand for the limited available space, students are admitted via a lottery, and applications will only be available for a short period of time. If a student is not admitted in a particular quarter, we will not be able to reevaluate our admission decisions.
The Stanford Science Circle runs during the Stanford academic year, with 10 sessions each quarter. We do not offer a summer quarter.
Fall 2016 Quarter Dates: September 27– December 7, 2016 Tuition: $375
Winter 2017 Quarter Dates: January 10, 2017-March 14, 2017 Tuition: $375
Spring 2017 Quarter Dates: April 4, 2017 - June 6, 2017 Tuition: $375
The fee for participation is $375 per quarter for the Middle School Program. This fee covers expenses for session leaders, website maintenance, administrative costs, and use of the Stanford University facilities. Please note that financial aid is available and that we will not exclude students due to financial hardship, so please let us know if the fee would cause financial difficulty for your family.
Spring 2017 Quarter: Environmental & Earth Sciences.
Winter 2017 Quarter: Physical Science and Engineering
This Winter’s theme is “Physical Science and Engineering". The sessions will be held from January 10 to March 14, 2017. The courses will be led by 3 different Stanford Post-Doctoral instructors.
- Week 1: January 10, Chris Miller- Studying Causality with Experimental Design
- Week 2: January 17, Chris Miller- Fundamentals of Matter: Atomic Structure
- Week 3: January 24, Chris Miller- Accounting in Chemistry: Electron Configuration
- Week 4: January 31, Chris Miller- Building in Chemistry: Molecules & Bonds
- Week 5: February 7, Chris Miller- Living Organisms in Chemistry: Macromolecules
- Week 6: February 14, Nik Martelaro- Object Hacking: Understanding and Remixing Products pt1
- Week 7: February 21, Nik Martelaro- Object Hacking: Understanding and Remixing Products pt2
- Week 8: February 28, Konstantin Kaganovsky- Principles of Bioengineering
- Week 9: March 7, Konstantin Kaganovsky- Bioengineering Proteins
- Week 10: March 14, Konstantin Kaganovsky- Bioengineering Neurons
Fall 2016 Quarter: Biological and Medical Sciences
This Fall’s theme is “Biological and Medical Science. The sessions will be held from September 27 to December 6, 2016 by course instructor Chris Miller, Stanford Post-Doctoral student.
- Week 1: September 27, Scientific Method & Clinical Trials
- Week 2: October 4, Cell Cycle & Cancer
- Week 3: October 11, Central Dogma & Mutations
- Week 4: October 18, Central Dogma & Mutations
- Week 5: October 25, Genetics & Artificial Selection
- Week 6: November 1, Evolution & Natural Selection
- Week 7: November 8, Blood Composition & Transfusions
- Week 8: November 15, Heart Physiology & Disease
- Week 9: November 29, Brain Anatomy & Function
- Week 10: December 6, Brain Scans & Technology